IMHO if this game had tricks like Downhill Domination, Moto Racer or Tony Hawk, probably I would like to take out the "change direction in mid-air" because it could be more problematic than helpful to the gameplay.
If I remember well, in Road Rash you could "change direction while in mid-air"* too. It gives an arcade feeling to the game. I don't see it as a problem in Road Redemption as this game isn't a simulator either.
*PS: I would have to replay Road Rash 3 to verify that feature, just in case.
Cabal, I have replayed Road Rash from Sega Mega Drive Genesis and I have confirmed that it doesn't change direction / turn in mid-air. While in the air It just leans the motorcycle, and after the leaning when you land it takes a really dangerous and sharp turn that can make you crash if you have not planned it right.
Yes, that is right, I kind of remembered that. Actually, if you performed a really high jump and happened to pass by curves below, the bike would "stick" a little bit to the lane you were in, so you didn't end up in the edges of the scenario, but you had no actual control on direction. Thing is, Road Rash was 2D and you were always facing the road forward.
I understand that "driving" your bike in the air in Road Redemption prevents you from a totally frustrating gameplay while on the rooftops levels, but it's too exaggerated. I believe some keener care on level design could solve that - that is, planning jump points in places you don't have to make sharp turns.
Videogames destroyed my life.
Good thing I still have 2 continues.
little stuff that doesn't work well: the camera on splitscreen. 1920x1080 2 players: in the map with a lot of close curves and up and down...you can't actually see ahead of you...the camera doesn't look the horizont of the bike but probably of the level grid and that inside an horizontal splitscreen can create a lot of problems (also because you need to adjust the camera for every up and down etc...). Btw i suggest you all to write your suggestion also on steam forum (you can access it by clicking on road redemption store page->game hub-->discussions).
Actually the jump control be solved just adding a check collision with the terrain in order to don't let the player the ability to turn on air. If it was for the rooftops levels: more large rooftops can do the trick otherwise...if i take bad the angle of a jump is my fault...why do it more "easy"?
Btw i was able finally to run again Road Rash for windows 95 on windows 7 x64. I do something like 8 hours of gameplay right now...road redemption 6 hours from the release. I still don't understand what's...maybe less traffic (cars on RRash are just obstacles that actually moves theirself on the road), Maybe less racers (3 minutes in order to get behind the 1st placed RHONDA) Maybe the pedestrain...LOL...i didn't jump on them because i want to!.... ... don't know guys, the mechanics with the new weapons etc... works well... something is missing... Also maybe in RRash every enemy have a different "way to ride" (somebody is more aggressive, somebody doesn't care and just race)...most of times i got rhonda or mike on first place and they care just to go first...a dude on a black bike (i don't remember the name) looks more aggressive and beat everybody down if he can. Don't know...there's something missing... I Know you want to add some stuff because's fun, but try also to give an hand to the old road rashers and give them also the possibility to actually play a game "old style". You will get the good from all the "worlds" with that. Also as i suggested: if you want to implement the rooftop stuff...just put a ramp on the side of a road that let you jump on a building roof and create an "alternate" road. It can works for both "classic road rashers" and also for the new ones. shortcuts! road that actually splits in two ways maybe one where you jump on rooftops and the other is a simple narrow street! don't know...do it! :°D
Hope the best
Still hope, bring me back the same emotions with all the surplus!!
Last Edit: Oct 1, 2014 13:02:43 GMT -6 by 3xistence
Yeah I think the rooftop levels are the most frustrating ones, and it would be way better if it was a street below where you could land on. Perhaps you have already thought of that and just haven't implemented it yet? Because now if you fall off the roofs you just fall into oblivion... And that sucks. I also should add I'm not a big fan of the "spider rope-gun" and the "jump jets". I would like to see that tuned down in favor of better level design.
Post by totalcarnage on Oct 2, 2014 17:00:58 GMT -6
Music is great, I have no idea why people don't like it. I feel a lot of people over here want the game to be a lot like Road Rash, but I dunno if I want that, I really love what you guys have done so far. Pedestrians would kill a game like this. As for grungey music, well... I like the unreal tournament kind of music you've gone with heh heh. Optimization is still an issue though, game lags badly on my 560 ti geforce. Dessert levels are fine, but the snowy ones are super laggy. Cannot play. There's one mode where the traffic is oncoming and the cars keep smashing into you. You get the grenade launcher in that one too, inspite of the GL, I didn't survive 5 minutes. The cop cars kind of kill the fun, maybe make the AI more forgiving. It would be nice to have less crazy physics too. I feel the physics of the game are a little over done. And finally the campaign mode, keeps making me restart at level 3. This has got to go. Maybe emulating other racing games and giving us a menu to choose which type of race we want, would be better. But hey what do I know? Despite all these "problems" I've clocked in several hours into your amazingly fun game. Keep up the good work you guys!
We really need a separate mode from campaign especially for multiplayer. Single Race then choose map will be just fine. Just like Road Rash 1995. Also allow users to determine the level/ race length. Even if we have to "lap" the same terrain that is fine. I would just want a longer race than 2 minutes with my buddies.
Game overall needs to be 25-40% slower. In Road Rash 1995 you start with the slower bikes then move to fast. This game feels like it start out with "top tier bikes" and that is all you get. Slow the game down!
The craziness needs to be turned down a bit to be more realistic. Whatever the "physics/gravity number" is set at it needs to be cut in half and scaled differently. It seems every jump is a super mega jump and every crash is a super mega crash. On top of that the crashes happen so often the great crashes lose their effect. The majority of crashes should only send you flying 0 - 50 ft. Only on occasion should you fly 200ft away from bike. Slowing the game down will help with this.
We need a mode where we can run back to our bike or just simply implement it. Even if you have to put up invisible walls so we do not fly off track that would be acceptable (not counting rooftop levels). You could have an invisible tether (think grappling hook mechanics only invisible) between player and bike that way the player is never more than 50-100ft from their bike.
I would also like to see the chain return. I have beat the game 4 times not and have not seen it. I want to swing a chain over my head!
I tried playing 3 players with my friends. It would have been much better but the frame rate was 10fps or below even with a R9 290x 4GB GFX card and a 8 core 4.0 GHz CPU. Hopefully this will get streamlined.
We need more hazards like the truck and the wood logs. We need oil slicks, tires on road, highway signs. Anything we hit we should not go through, it should crash us if we are above 60 mph. Increasing the difficulty in this way is a good thing!
Lastly we need a city level with pedestrians office buildings and cross traffic
IF you add these in you will have accomplished your mission to revive a true successor to Road Rash.
1)I feel weapons are too strong atm. With infinite ai its fine, but multiplayer would be infuriating when you get one hit by a katana or a battle axe 2)The guns are insanely overpowered too. The shotgun is way too easy to use, and i finished a takedown mission in around 20 seconds by mowing down a group of bikers with an ak 3)The cars are infuriating. They have perfect control and the only way to beat them is sticky bomb+ jump jet. Without those you have no option but to dodge.I would suggest them steering out of control or being slower 4)A trivial suggestion, but i want the main mode of road rash to return. While the roguelike element surprised me-it worked pretty well. However campaign+ should be changed to (idk) mode where its the old road rash with going through 5 different courses,upgrading bikes,getting busted and stuff.In this mode, i would heavily suggest non lethal weapons that when you fall off repeatedly you die(like you used to) as the whole "one hit you're dead" feels too easy.The return of a career-esque mode excited me, and i think would please a lot of road rash fans 5)Please work on the grappling hook hitboxes. If just randomly grabbing the air at times 6)The buildings on the rooftop levels are hollow a lot of the times. I've missed a jump and swung right through a building too many times 7)The logs from the trucks are really annoying- instead of a hazard you seem to fall off more at the lowest speeds compared to say hitting a car 8)Speaking of cars, i often drive into the back of one and i cant seem to slide away- i get stuck until i brake 9)There is way too much chaos. Cars are crashing into each other for no reason, and while that might be what you are going for after a while it gets tedious and laggy. I would suggest reducing the amount of random brashes, but for cars to panic when bikers approach and maybe when bikers fall off or fire guns
Dont take this as 'i hate this game i want my money back' by the way. This was one of the most enjoyable alphas i played, and i cant wait for an update to bring back the career mode from the original road rash
9)There is way too much chaos. Cars are crashing into each other for no reason, and while that might be what you are going for after a while it gets tedious and laggy. I would suggest reducing the amount of random brashes, but for cars to panic when bikers approach and maybe when bikers fall off or fire guns
Be aware that some of the crazy traffic modes (cars traveling both ways in both lanes) are still in the game, but we don't get notified of it like we used to. This combined with cop cars, trucks, and car opponents can make it super crazy.
Post by paulishdog on Oct 15, 2014 14:00:24 GMT -6
All the crazy stuff is awesome. I want it to be there in the final game. I like the explosives and the car crashes and the rooftop shenanigans. But I feel like the game is relying on all of it for the fun right now. The game needs to be fun underneath all that. If you play without traffic or cops, heck, even without weapons, you should still be playing a fun motorcycle racing game. At the moment, I don't think it is.
I want to see a little more of the old style road rash. Bring back the competitive racing without the chaos. Before, bikers used to feel the burning sensation and impact as they went for a nice long slide and tumble across the road. Now, bikers get shot in the head, head cut off or blown up before they even hit the dirt!
All that stuff is fun but my question to devs is: will we have the power to change server settings in detail? Eg. Available weapons, traffic density, Ai levels, weather or time of day settings?
Post by xenocreature on Oct 27, 2014 3:18:33 GMT -6
So I finally had the time to finish Campaign mode. Here's my thoughts:
- The game is alright technically. Runs smoothly under "beautiful" graphic settings at 1920x1080 resolution (using a gaming laptop) - No complaints about gun combat - it's at the right difficulty control-wise - Why does, when you've reached the last mission (12), the route on the map has only reached halfway across USA? I assume this will be different in the final game - The last mission's stage is awesome, by the way
What I want to see in the final game: - A "garage" type area where you can customize your character and your bike - AND admire them - A way to turn off the UI (like for taking screenshots - the user interface gets in the way) - Where's the "clubhouse" that the Kickstarter rewards mentioned? - Maybe have different bikes to purchase in-game, with different stats
First of all, i like Road Rash in the old days, so i love this game really much and hope it gets as much attention as possible
What i like: - I like the truck with wooden logs, hope similar cars with other objekts will appear too (Maybe a oil truck or delivery trucks).
- I love the jumping fuction for the bike, but i feel it should be a upgrade you get either from xp after you die, a biker shop (where you can costumize the bike) or from a klub house (if thats something you would ever consider to implemment). (The jumping fuction may be a bit overpowered though, maybe the bike should lose some speed when used or the bike take damage if fall from to high)
- I love the chaos in the traffik with all the cars driving like insane people, the car rain, even the evil police cars that try to push you out all the time.
- I like the combat system with both melee, range, grabs and kicks, work´s really well. (It maybe be a little to easy to shoot people in my oppinion, you can snipe people with a uzi on longe range with 1-2 shots... Maybe add recoil for range weapon or nerf damage on some of them)
- I like the fact that you can first level up after you die, hope this is also true in multiplayer.
- I Love that you can play 4 player co-op on local mashines.
- I love the graphics really much, but i get framerate issues sometimes when many effects or objects are appearing at the same time
What i Dislike or would like in the future
- Right now, i dont like that the campaign to be so linier, i would like some choices as to where i want to go, witch klub i am a member of, what services the klub offers, what kind of members are in the klub and what consequences if will have to become unpopuler with other biker klubs. (is it combat types, range or melee, do they prefer body armor or heavy weapons, do they use fast bikes or do they high health. Do they take revenge when they lose a race or if beaten up to much, do they gang up on you or try to stalk and follow you on the track, stuff like that)
- I would like to be able to costumize my bike and ridder. Both the looks and funktionallity. I Dont like that you use XP to upgrade the bike, it should be dont in a workship and same goes with repairs of the bike, it should break down over time and would require repairs, just like the ridder lose health and need to recover from either food or kills.
- Even though i like some part of the skill tree, i think its much to easy to level up and some skills are not that nice (Get better bike with x amount of xp? Skip to level 3? i know the joke reference to mario games, but still, that kind of thing should be a ingame secret thing, not a skill in the tree (in my opinion)) But when that being said i also feel the skill tree is way to short, but maybe thats because of the quick and easy way to level up.
- I dont like the fact that weapons are overflowing in the game, it should be a little more rare and exortic to get weapons, not just "kill 1 person, eeey you found a battle axe, kill new person, eeey now you got a Ak74" I would prefer it more to be something to buy before a battle, from your klub and that the status of your rank in the klub determins what weapons are availible to buy. Also if you run out of weapons during a run, you should just steal from other racers or police, or use grab, kick and punch (if that comes) or the natural inviroment.
- I would like to be able to buy diffrent body armors in the store, maybe make body armor take up a slot in the weapon inventory to NOT make it overpowered or a "must have" item.
- I would like to see large amount of diffrent theme places to drive, like in small or big citys, on roads near big fields, on mountains and near beaches or deserts. Maybe also include weather disasters like snow storms, sand storms and heavy rain. (Maybe make it mod-friendly so people can design their own tracks and share on internet)
That's all for now, keep up the good work, you are making a awsome game and i wish you the best of luck with it and hope you will take your time to get as much content in the game as possible. (P.s. sorry for my bad english writting)
I've been doing some replays lately. There has been lots of balancing done in the chaos and car wrecking. Racing feels more intense now, and that is good. Dusk and night races are also very nice. Campaign+ is very challenging, I haven't gone very far there yet. Skill is playing a bigger part than luck now, during the races.
What keeps bothering me is the ability to spam attacks and deflects all around me, all the time, and I have no penalties for doing so. I continue to stand my ground for some sort of stamina system for the players. Guns and weapons are plenty (and ammo, too!), and still overpowered. Unarmed combat should be implemented soon.
The game freezes for me, quite often now, I don't know why. This ruins my quick playthroughs, because it usually happens BEFORE I die and get access to the skill tree.
Latest news mentions a rudimentary bikeshop system and character customization of sorts. Looking forward for that. It will be nice to see different bikes with different stats, and see how all that fare in the game.
I'm starting to get curious about the backstory for the game. The game itself is shaping nicely, but what is the main character backstory? What are his motives, what makes him go around? Who are his allies, and why? What are his opponents goals? What is, really, the police role in this world? Why do they all settle their differences on the road, fighting each other? So far, the Road Redemption alpha is a totally generic beat'em up over wheels. It's fun, and I'm loving playing it, but it needs to begin defining it's personality to keep things interesting.
I hope your response to that last part is: "Yeah Cabal, we know that, we have all that settled out, but we will not implement the story just yet because there are tons of other stuff we need to do first."
Cheers, and keep up the good work!
And please, have you devs been paying attention to valentinbk work on the other forum? His music is awesome, and some of it would fit perfectly on Road Redemption.
Videogames destroyed my life.
Good thing I still have 2 continues.